CACTC LITERACY PROJECT
The literacy project is a countywide campaign bringing together a coalition of partners working towards a shared vision that all children will be reading on grade level by the end of 3rd grade.
Why This Matters
Reading is a fundamental skill that children must have to be successful in life, but nearly 70% of students in Cortland County are performing below proficiency standards in English Language Arts by third grade.
Third grade is the year when instruction shifts from learning to read to reading to learn. As a result, students who are not reading proficiently by the end of third grade may struggle in school and fall behind their peers.
Fortunately, research has shown that all children are capable of making great strides in their reading ability as long as they have support from adults inside and outside the classroom.
Through a comprehensive research review, CACTC believes the key levers to achieving grade level reading are: School Readiness, Daily Attendance, Summer Learning, and Parent Engagement.
Based on these findings, we are implementing the following strategies with the aim of transforming Cortland County's children
into strong readers.
1. Parents and adults in the community "Make Everyday Moments Learning Moments"
2. Children and families have a home personal library
3. Optimize the likelihood that parents use information on parenting and child development by delivering it with clear and concise recommendations
4. Promote the availability of summer programming and other year round children's programming for families
5. Promote the importance of daily school attendance and the negative impacts of chronic absences on a children's learning outcomes